Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 9, 2001  8:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Darkening Vowels

In a message dated 02/09/2001 1:27:30 PM Central Standard Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< Thinking of an umlaut seems to help some
people. I've seen singers who pull the top lip down
over the front teeth to get the same effect.

As Thomas Hampson said about that technique in a recent master class:

"And about the technique of pulling your lip over your teeth, this
[demonstrating and continuing to speak], is CRAP!"

When I pull my upper lip over my teeth, my lower lip responds with tension
and it feels like my palate pulls down. Why would ANYONE recommend this
technique? It makes no sense to me. If someone can tell me the technical
advantage to this practice, I'm all ears. Skeptical ears, but all ears.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com