Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Feb 9, 2001  7:32 am
Subject:  Re: boys and girls changing voices

Hello Suzi and Vocalisters:

I know of no research that indicates that the growing/changing voices in
either males or females are inflamed during the process of change itself.
Abuse of a voice at any time can cause inflammation of the vocal folds, a
common event that is quickly correct by normal rest and removal of the
abusive action.

An English method of training boys voices in which an emphasis is placed on
a very open tone quality that is lacking in balance of partials and
emphasizes an excessive air flow is not a technique that works well with
the changed voice. The changed voice is able to better resist the flow of
breath and allow a greater sub-glottal breath pressure. Consequently, boys
trained in this tradition must learn a new and different technique of
singing. It may be for this reason that these boys are not encouraged to
sing during the changing voice period.

The boys in the Danish Boys Choir continue to sing during the changing voice
period and are able to experience success within the rigors of their
training as their voices gradually descend into adult male ranges. There
has been some research into this which indicates that the use of the umlaut
vowels of the Danish language is one of the reasons for the success of
their approach.

In the US, few boys are trained in the English tradition mentioned above
and, consequently, fewer boys in US boy choirs find singing during the
transition to be a problem. I have taught a number of men who have come
from US boy choirs and the only matter I have had to address is a slight
change in their method of breath management.

It has not been my experience that high boy's and girl's voices become low
men's and women's voice or visa versa. I also know of no research that
supports this idea.

I am always surprised at the many myths that surround this topic of the
changing/changed voice. If one listens to the voice carefully and has a
basic understanding of vocal fold function it is not difficult to
comprehend the cause and effects that occur during this transition period.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy