Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 9, 2001  3:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Help...undergrad voice

> Hey all-
> I'm new to this group and was hoping to get some help. I am a junior
in

> High School and am very seriously pursuing a career in classical vocal
> performance. I recently was chosen as the #1 Tenor I in Colorado in the
> All-State Choir auditions. I am seriously looking at Manhattan School of
> Music, Northwestern, Curtis Institute of Music, and Oberlin. I am also
> considering Juilliard, New England Conservatory, University of Southern
> California, and Boston University. I you would like to comment on any of
> the
> above colleges for undergraduate voice, I would greatly appreciate it. I
> would also appreciate a ranking of undergraduate vocal programs, from a
> resource or personal opinion. If any colleges should be considered that
are

> not on my list, I would also appreciate those. Thank you so much for your
> time and hope to hear from all of you soon!
> Mark Van Arsdale
> Denver, Colorado

i am an Oberlin grad, altho in organ, not voice. but i can tell you it is a
great place for voice. lots of opera, and concerts all the time. your
musical education will be greatly furthered by all the music you hear, of
every type, not just vocal. i'm not sure exactly who the profs are there now
in voice. great practice facilities, many fine pianos, i think mostly
steinways. also, there are no end of great accompanists. (they have an
accompanying major now, which they did not have when i was there.) it is
very competitive, at least as competitive or more than when i was there, but
as a tenor you should have a better chance than most. it is expensive, but
they give a lot of financial aid. is richard miller still there? he was when
i was there. i think he started the voice lab after i left. i did a little
accompanying for one of his students. the college choir was phenomenal under
robert fountain. alas, i was not in it. they got to tour russia my freshman
year under the state dept.!!! i am not sure if they still have that same
great reputation. of course, as a solo singer, you may not want to do
heavyduty choir. in any case, i believe that oberlin is certainly in the top
handful of conservatories. the audition is the main factor for admission to
the conservatory, as it must be for most conservatories; make sure you are
well prepared for it. good luck.

merry foxworth

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9207 Re: Help...undergrad voice Jeffrey Snider   Fri  2/9/2001   2 KB

emusic.com