Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 8, 2001  6:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] weight AND SINGING

In a message dated 02/07/2001 11:32:12 PM Central Standard Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< 3. Is ageism or weightism more widespread in casting these days, do you
think? Better to be young and fat, or old and thin? >>

As I approach the threshold of my second age (a line from a show I'm doing),
I find that I'm kind of in a dilemma. I'm not thin enough (or perhaps young
enough) for some of the local companies to be cast in leading mezzo roles and
not heavy enough (or old enough) to be cast in character roles. Plus my
voice tends towards lovely lyricism, if I do say so myself, and doesn't sound
like a character voice (I can find those colors, but some people aren't that
creative when casting).

I am doing a character role in Hiram Titus' ROSINA next month with the
Skylight Opera Theater - Pilar Esposito, the horny landlady. So perhaps I'm
getting old and fat enough (or perhaps TPTB have the creativity to see I can
act and wear the appropriate makeup!).

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com