Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Tue Feb 6, 2001  7:55 pm
Subject:  Weight Control

> would consider unhealthily thin. Self-image around weight for young
> women is a huge problem in the US.

Actually there have been a number of studies in the last couple of
years that show many men have begun to obsess about their weight as well.
Check out the magazine stands: there are many more men's fitness
periodicals than there used to be.

Several people have mentioned the correlation between evolution and body
fat. One sociological issue in weight control originated during the
industrial revolution: the trend toward eating three meals a day. Humans
should 'graze' rather than 'feed'. Six small meals is better than three
normal (read: big) ones. A corollary: eat before you get hungry.

Another downfall of many otherwise conscientious eaters is the ingestion
of stealth sugars. In the US, we have been very lucky to have had the
Food and Drug Administration require dietary information on all packaged
foods sold. Unfortunately, many citizens don't know how to read and
understand them. Much of what is labeled low-fat or no-fat are actually
fat inducers--full of sugar and sodium. Rule of thumb: eat no
manufactured low-fat products (except dairy, of course.)

For many who find that dieting involves a loss of flavor, one may find
that this is also a by-product of sugars. One of the best things I ever
did for myself was to remove carbonated sodas from my diet. Of course, I
occasionally have one (and even a beer now and then), but I have grown to
realize that sugared products have an ability to leave your taste
sensations dazed and confused. Fast food has an enormous amount of sugar
in it: ON PURPOSE! The fast food industry has been just as purposeful in
the development of their products as the tobacco industry. They are well
aware that they are able to 'addict' you to sugar. Fat is bad. Sugar is
worse. Combined they are lethal to good health (and promote fat retention as
well.) Avoiding fast food requires good planning (I do all my cooking on the
weekends - I live to grill.) The good news: your pocketbook will be the
only item getting fatter!

For many who have a history of weight trouble, the prospect of dieting is
a formidable one. The first fact one must face is that there is no easy
way. Exercise and diet are the only way to take it off healthfully (bad
dieting can put quite a strain on your internal organs, especially your
heart) and keep it off. Eating a healthy diet does not require that you
give up every comfort food; it does require that you plan when you have
them. For myself, I eat very strictly six days a week; on the seventh, I
eat whatever I want (this past Saturday I made the granddaddy of all
grilled cheese sandwiches!) and as much of it as I want (I have been known
to eat an entire cake on my cheat day.)

I've gone on about this longer than I intended, but having once been
overweight, I know the pain of being fat. If you are confused about your
avoirdupois, here are a couple of web sites for determining your 'ideal'
weight.

http://www.self.com/c_tools/calculators4/01home/calculators.htm
http://motivationstation.net/index.html

Mark Montgomery