Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Feb 6, 2001  6:26 pm
Subject:  Re: female morphology, weight etc

"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...> wrote:
> Judy wrote:
> [...]Women are expected to eat and exercise in a way that makes
> them lose their periods, girls do not develop breasts, young
> women in their twenties have advanced osteoporosis, and they
> often suppress their natural appetites with cigarettes, alcohol
> and drugs.[...]
>
> Dear Judy and co vocalisters,
>
> Judy, aren't you exaggerating a bit?
>
> Everybody knows there are much much more women (and men!) unhealthy
because they eat too much, than those who suffer from underweight.

Dre, you make many excellent observations, but I also don't think Judy
is exaggerating at all. You are *both* right. Obesity and anorexia are
both widespread health-threatening eating disorders. You might be
surprised to find out how many young women out there are throwing up
regularly. There have been numerous studies that show over 50%
American teenage girls have a weight ideal for themselves that doctors
would consider unhealthily thin. Self-image around weight for young
women is a huge problem in the US.

Moderation and self-love is the key!

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9115 Weight Control thomas mark montgomery   Tue  2/6/2001   5 KB
9119 Re: female morphology, weight etc Laura Sharp   Tue  2/6/2001   2 KB

emusic.com