Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Feb 6, 2001  3:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] female morphology, weight etc

SAlly wrote:

> It also occurs to me that it is much too rigid to accept only thinness in
> women as they come in may different body types some of which were never
> intended to be skinny but are harmonious and beautiful just as they are.

To determine beauty standards, people have always mirrored the ruling
classes.

In the past, as the rich had more access to food and were not exposed to the
sun and made no physical efforts, while the poor were overworked and burning
in the fields and not properly fed, being fat and pale was considered to be
the attractive.

Nowadays, most poor and middle class people are not exposed to the sun,as
they work in offices and factories, while rich people can go to the beach or
stay some time in the Bahamas and get some tan. Office and factory workers
don't do as much physical activity as they used to in the past, while the
rich have much more access to medical information and consultancy and free
time to exercise and fulfill the doctors' recommendations.

That's responsible for the present desired look: tanned skin and slim body.

Probably,thin and muscular men in ancient Greek corresponded to the expected
physique because serving the state and becoming a military was considered
the ultimate goal a typical Greek citizen, rich or poor, wished to achieve.
Their wives would be weaving at home and being served by slaves ( therefore,
fattening like pigs ) while their husbands had fun with each other in the
army ( or, when teenagers, with their philosophy tutors hehe ).

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com