Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rachel Parker" <despina@p...>
"Rachel Parker" <despina@p...>
Date:  Tue Feb 6, 2001  3:20 am
Subject:  Darkening Vowels

Greetings, all!

I've been semi-lurking over the last few weeks, and was very interested in
the recent discussion of darkening vowels as one sings higher. I had always
been taught to brighten as one descends in pitch, but never thought to flip
that around. Thanks!

I'm currently working on the ornamentation in "Se Florindo e fedele," (from
the Alfred "big 26" edition), and it's really helped to think of darkening
the vowels on the higher notes, particularly on the repeated E flat-F-G's. I
am curious as to how one should approach darkening the long "e," as there's
a whompin' lot of them! Would it be something closer to an open E, or
something else?

My apologies if this question has already been answered:-)

As always, many thanks in advance for your help!

Rachel

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9092 Re: Darkening Vowels Gina   Tue  2/6/2001   3 KB
9216 Re: Darkening Vowels Linda Fox   Fri  2/9/2001   2 KB
9225 Re: Darkening Vowels Isabelle Bracamonte   Fri  2/9/2001   3 KB
9229 Re: Darkening Vowels Mezzoid@a...   Fri  2/9/2001   2 KB
9293 Re: Darkening Vowels Peter Louis van Dijk   Sun  2/11/2001   3 KB
9296 Re: Darkening Vowels Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  2/11/2001   2 KB
9294 Re: Darkening Vowels Mezzoid@a...   Sun  2/11/2001   2 KB

emusic.com