Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Feb 2, 2001  7:44 pm
Subject:  Maureen McGovern

Maureen McGovern, to my ears, is quite a singer; among contemporary
songstresses, a peer to Cleo Laine, Barbra Steisand, Audra McDonald and
the like. Several years ago during the Boston Pops Esplanade concert on
the fourth of July, McGovern scatted the piccolo obbligato to Sousa's
Stars and Stripes Forever. It was quite impressive. Somewhere I also own
a copy of her Glitter and Be Gay from Bernstein's Candide, though I was
less impressed with that, probably because I expect tonal beauty of the
classical ilk in operetta.

Mark Montgomery

> << i remember seeing a roundtable discussion which included maureen
> mcgovern and beverly sills. at one point, mcgovern was talking about her 4
> or 5 octave range and then, five minutes later, was talking about how a
> conductor had to lower some of the songs in 'three penny opera' because they
> were to high for her. the look on sills' face was priceless. >>
>
> well, I have MM's Gershwin CD and she has a high G above high C on the riff
> she does in the middle of "By Strauss" (she's interpolated the FLEDERMAUS
> waltz) and I was pretty amazed. Don't know just when that recording was
> made, though.

emusic.com