Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Fri Feb 2, 2001  5:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] PED--The upper break

Thanks Gina, mike, Randy, and Vocalisters for your kind responses to my query.

Gina's suggestion about proper appoggio is particularly cogent. The
last thing I want to do while sirening up and down through that upper
passagio is lose support. In fact I do use a firm support from deep below,
feeling the tension in my pelvis and back while the epigastric area and
lower costal margin areas expand as I sing out. Fortunately, I'm standing
during my lessons (and most of my practice sessions) which causes me to
assume the "noble posture" almost automatically. I just can't seem to
maintain a seated noble posture, however, for very long.

I probably overspoke the swallowing action, Randy. Using Gina's
method of gently feeling my thyroid cartilage while going through the
maneuver, I can feel my larynx descend, tilt forward, and stay low. The
swallowing feeling seems to be only the very first part of the swallow
during which the larynx doesn't rise, but the extrinsic muscles feel a bit
more tense. Maybe, it's just the thyroid cartilage tilting forward that I feel?

Anyway, the part I am insecure about is not in ascending into the
head voice, but rather descending from head down through the passagio both
rapidly and frequently as in typical Handelian melismas. He would have to
place the tessitura right on the break! Are there specific exercises that
people use to strengthen and coordinate/train the appropriate muscles to
make this experience more secure and "automatic"? Should I just keep sirening?

Again, many thanks.

GWendel

emusic.com