Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Feb 2, 2001  4:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Italian Diction

Vale wrote:

> I now that there (in France) language has a more authoritative source:

Don't you mean 'authoritarian'?! hehe

some year ago came out a paper, I think from some department, that dissuaded
from using foreign words; instead, it suggested a list of french synonyms
(i.e. computer? NO!!! ordinateur!!!).

A congressman tried ( is trying? ) to do that here too, like preventing
national companies from portraying a foreign name, and there's also this new
'Romance Academy' ( I think in France ), which is trying to join
intelectuals in all these countries in order to 'protect' our languages. I
think it doesn't make any sense: we'll naturally be influenced by English
just like it was, by Latin and French ( and also Italian, through
Shakespeare, so some say ). I don't think our languages are at risk, just
mutating ( I won't use 'evolving' because that may induce to the idea of
enhancement, which is not even the point here ).

I must speak, write, read and listen to English much more than Portuguese,
and it's still easier for me to express myself and understand others in my
own language.

Bye,

Caio

emusic.com