Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 31, 2001  3:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] tech: agility & velocity

In a message dated 1/31/01 9:39:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, LYNDA313@a...
writes:

<< 1. Continue to re-confirm the vowel you are singing each time you change
pitch...not separating the notes, but rather a thought process. >>

This is very good advice and very important to do even on a sustained note in
the smallest increments you can think. My teacher told me to continually
reinforce the vowel in my head as I was singing a sustained note. He offered
the image of a conversation balloon in a cartoon with a sustained vowel sound
the character is making: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee or such like. I've used this
image with my own students, and it helps in focusing and placing (and keeping
it there!) the vowel.

Cheers,
Doris Long Thurber, a Texas / New Jersey Soprano

emusic.com