Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 31, 2001  2:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] tech: agility & velocity

In a message dated 1/31/01 3:55:16 AM, fionat@i... writes:

<< I personally never put a run into my voice until I can hear it in my head.

Good idea, Fiona! One of my teachers said that you cannot sing anything
faster than you can hear it, and you cannot hear it until you can think it.
Until you hear it in your head, you cannot sing it.

Suggestions that I've found helpful:

1. Continue to re-confirm the vowel you are singing each time you change
pitch...not separating the notes, but rather a thought process.

2. Even though you may be using a smaller sound, remember that you are going
somewhere...keep the tone spinning and moving forward through the phrase,
rather than pulling back and using an unsupported tone simply to sing
lighter. Use good breath management.

3. In the middle register particularly, consider brightening (or using a
"higher") vowel in order to keep the tone focused and move it more easily
through those phrases which require more agility and velocity.

Great topic.

Sincerely,

Lynda Lacy, soprano

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com