Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
"Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Wed Jan 31, 2001  9:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] tech: agility & velocity

Here are a few things I have found helpful:

Coloratura passages - Many people make the mistake of singing too heavily,
which of course makes it different to negotiate the notes properly. Try
singing very lightly.

Try accenting the first beat of a set of four 16th notes, or similiar idea
if the notes are grouped differently. You may not do this in performance,
but this kind of thing gives you "anchor" notes in your mind, and also helps
you to keep a steady rhythm, which is part of the battle when singing
quickly.

Take a good look at the run and try to mentally figure out it's pattern.
Most runs have a pattern, and this pattern might change in the middle of the
run and become another pattern... this is hard to explain without a clear
example.... But if you have a look at, let's say the runs in Handel's
Rejoice Greatly (messiah) you will find that they all have a pattern, and
this might help you "hear" the run better.

I personally never put a run into my voice until I can hear it in my head.
To do this, I might play the run in the right hand on the piano, and put
chords to it in the left hand that will allow me to hear the harmony change.
Once I can hear this, I start to work it into my voice. A run learned wrong
the first time is hard to correct!!!

Hope some of this helps. Like with anything, coloratura takes some
practise, but almost all voices, when singing well, should be able to
execute some kind of agility work like this! Have fun!! Some of this rep
is the best in the world!!!

Fiona
coloratura something-or-other

emusic.com