Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 31, 2001  3:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia

In a message dated 01/30/2001 4:59:06 PM Central Standard Time,
BLYTHE@B... writes:
BLYTHE@B... writes:

<< And there is the crux: so many gifted brilliant people have soprano voices
that the chances of a Lucia being a dunce are rather small, whereas the
true tenor is such a rare beast that we will often put up with dull ones or
rather straightforward ones for the sake of the instrument. That was cruel,
wasn't it? john >>

Well, you wouldn't think so if you read the article written by our local
music critic about the soprano playing Lucia ... apparently, he believes
intelligent sopranos are few and far between:

"Beyond that, Berneche's musicianship has impressed Carsey, a
conductor-pianist by trade. She learns music quickly and on her own; many
singers must have notes piano-pounded into their ears."

and

"Her personality is winning, onstage and off. Face to face, she is warm and
engaging. Her openness and energetic charm are hard to resist. She laughs
readily and talks a lot, but Berneche is no witless canary."

(see www.jsonline.com for the full article.)

This is how this critic ALWAYS discusses singers - any singer who he respects
is automatically different from the average stupid singer. Now, granted,
Alicia Berneche is excellent - we went to grad school together and I respect
her as a colleague - but most of the singers I know are not "witless
canaries" who require pianists to "pound" their music "into their ears."

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com