Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  9:44 pm
Subject:  What's in a name

Someone mentioned that Rossini-like fioratura isn't usually associated with
contralto voices these days. And yet, one of the only self-billed
successful contraltos of the moment is Ewa Podles, who can definitely give
Marilyn Horne a run for her money fioratura-wise. Her stock in trade is
singing the truly dazzling coloratura Rossini contralto roles like
Tancredi, and yet her vocal timbre makes it very clear that "contralto" is
exactly the right designation for her voice.

I've always though Horne's voice was "too bleaty" in the lower register to
qualify as true contralto. To me, the true contralto voice is one where
the lower register sounds as smooth and elegant as the higher registers.
Listen to Marian Anderson in her lower register, or Kathleen Ferrier, then
listen to Horne and you might hear what I mean - Horne always seemed to me
to be forcing a little down in the lowest parts of the voice, where the
same notes coming from Anderson and Ferrier sounded free, easy, and quite
lovely.

Karen

emusic.com