Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
"Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  7:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] tech: agility & velocity

> Can you suggest some exercises which would specifically target agility,
> especially for Mozart's fioratura passages? Any tips for maximizing the
> speed of coloratura?

Dear Gina:
I find the following help:
1) Know the notes so well you don't have to think about them. To learn the
notes, I sing the passages staccato, making sure the pitches are precise.
When I have the notes and rhythm right, I increase the tempo, still singing
staccato. Then, when I can't sing staccato any faster, I sing the passages
legato working your way up to the desired tempo;
2) Don't try to sing a large sound in the coloratura passages;
3) Although you can improve your agility just by singing arias containing
fioritura passages, you can increase your coloratura 'vocabulary' even
faster by practicing a variey of coloratura exercises (eg. Panofka,
Liebling, Marchesi);
4) Make sure your coloratura passages are just as expressive as the rest
of the aria. (Is the coloratura expressing your flirtatiousness? happiness?
craziness? anger?)

Have fun,
Kate Leff
Lyric Coloratura Soprano/Voice Teacher/Choir Director
San Diego

emusic.com