Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  5:29 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What do you take for allergies?

Dear Melinda and List,

IMHO, there's no one "magic bullet" for allergies. I tend to
approach them individually in terms of specific symptoms needing control;
different allergies may cause different symptoms. If the problem is general
coryza with itchy tearing eyes, runny nose, nasal congestion, and cough from
post nasal drip, then so-called "non-sedating" antihistamines are useful.
All antihistamines may be drying; but in this first situation, it's a good
thing. On the other hand, antihistamines, even the "non-sedating" ones,
tend to make me a little "squirrely". Once during rehearsal with Camerata,
after a dose of Allegra, along with a couple of Tylenol tabs, I started
singing "in another universe" at the top of my lungs. Our director
diplomatically stopped the piece, said that the acoustics were bad, and gave
me a chance to regroup. Makes me blush a little just thinking about it.
However, individual reactions/side-effects are just that--individual. You
may have better luck.

If the problem is mostly just nasal congestion, then the nasal
sprays work best. The throat irritation comes when the excess spray drips
down the top of the palate into the back of the throat. This can be
prevented by using an acqueous formulation such as NasoCort AQ or Nasonex;
using only ONE spray per each nostril twice daily (or waiting 10-15 minutes
between successive sprays if two sprays are required); AVOIDING
SNIFFING/inhaling during each spray; gargling with water after
administration to rinse the posterior pharynx.

Another alternative for simple nasal congestion is pseudoephedrine,
which I usually recommend in combination with guaifenisin (eg Duratuss), but
this may cause palpitations, although it is less drying than antihistamines.

If all this doesn't work for you, you might consider a visit to the
allergist for desensitization. And, of course, gallons of water along with
some lozenges (I like the Ricola Pearls myself) helps with the drying.

Best of Luck,

GWendel, MD, DT (developing tenor)

At 11:04 AM 1/29/01 -0800, you wrote:

>What have you found non-drying and effective? Many of
>the pills my Dr. suggests are drying and the nasal
>sprays seem to irritate my throat. Any suggestions?

emusic.com