Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Jan 29, 2001  4:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] diction: how many vowel

I've been taught the basic five vowels, but I personally modify them and
add my versions of the other two and the German vowels in vocalising. I
find the dirty in-between vowels to be very useful in exploring resonance
possibilities, though I've been advised to really enunciate the differences
between vowels in Italian repertoire, and this is really helpful.
Thanks, Vale, for your perspective on the vagaries of your language.
There's not much I can add, except perhaps to mention that the open vowel
before a double consonant is a characteristic of English, and, to a lesser
extent, German, which we anglophones may be imposing on our understanding
of Italian.
john
At 05:54 AM 1/27/01 +0100, you wrote:
>At singing lesson, which vowels do you study? (and, for teachers:which
vowels do you teach?) All vowels of the language you want to sing in, or not?
>For example, english language has many vowels!
>Vocalize on all? Too many time on exercises!
>Vocalize on too few? Perhaps the learning is not complete!
>
>For example, I'm Italian: my teacher make me vocalize on five of the
italian vowels: /a/, /e/, /i/, /O/,/u/.
>I sing also in English, but it's another matter. Let's suppose that I need
to learn Italian vowels.

>As you notice, there are not /E/ and /o/. Why, I ask myself?
>I've asked my teacher, but he hadn't any answer. He said that "He's been
taught so... perhaps because when we Italians read alphabet, we pronounce
them so...".
>I think it's not a valid reason.
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico