Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Jan 28, 2001  4:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] adduction questions

In a message dated 1/28/2001 11:22:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:
dgrogan@e... writes:

<< Of course, this doesn't take into consideration the action of the
thyroarytenoid, or vocalis, which also deals with adduction of the folds.
Hope this helps... >>

david,

your responses have been very helpful and very clear. i would like to
ask you how the contraction of the thyroarytenoids contribute to adduction,
if you don't mind. what i'm ultimately after is knowing whether adduction
(for singing) is simply aligning the folds together or, is it squeezing them
together (far more likely but, i'm trying to assume nothing) and how much
more do they squeeze together as pitch is increased?

as i write the above question, it occurs to me that, in order to reduce
the use of 'chest voice' as one increases pitch, the role of the vocalis
muscle in adduction has to lessen. so, if the squeezing of adduction were
to increase as pitch increases, that increase in squeezing would have to be
taken by one of the other muscles we've discussed.

thanks,
mike

emusic.com