Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Sun Jan 28, 2001  3:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] adduction questions

Mike wrote:
<<thank you for your response. actually, i think your description may be
clearer than the picture. when you say "connect...on the opposite side",
does this mean that these muscles cross each other to the opposite side or,
do you mean they connect to the other side of the arytenoid cartileges from
where the folds meet the cartileges?>>

David responds:
Well, the arytenoids are pyramid in shape, and on one of the points, the
vocal folds connect, on another, the lateral cricoarytenoid muscles. When
they contract, the arytenoids swivel around so that the vocal folds come
together. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration the action of the
thyroarytenoid, or vocalis, which also deals with adduction of the folds.
Hope this helps...

Mike also wrote:
<<> i have heard complaints from other teachers that the 'mutational
chink'
> is the cause of breathiness in the singing of jr. high school aged girls
yet,
> these girls are fully capable of making non breathy, loud-as-hell vocally
> generated noises when they don't get their way and they are capable of
> sustaining these noises for a long period of time (thankfully, my daughter
is
> a cat). i think the problem comes more from a conceptual problem and
less
> from a physical one as the problem exists in many adult women, particulary
> women who are shy about singing. >>

David responds:
Well, if you want them to sing "loud-as-hell", I guess you could ask for
that. Personally, I like a less scream-like tone, but whatever floats your
boat.

David Grogan
ETBU Music
Marshall, Texas