Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Jan 28, 2001  3:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] adduction questions

In a message dated 1/27/2001 9:35:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:
dgrogan@e... writes:

<< As I understand it, the lateral cricoarytenoids connect with the arytenoid
cartilage on the opposite side of the vocal processes (where the vocal folds
meet the arytenoids) and swivel the arytenoids together there.>>

david,

thank you for your response. actually, i think your description may be
clearer than the picture. when you say "connect...on the opposite side",
does this mean that these muscles cross each other to the opposite side or,
do you mean they connect to the other side of the arytenoid cartileges from
where the folds meet the cartileges?

<<This leaves a triangular shaped gap that particularly affects jr. high
girls (and their
teachers, I might add!). This gap is closed by the interarytenoids
(transverse and oblique arytenoids), hence the reason why the adduction is
not complete with the lateral cricoarytenoids alone. >>

i have heard complaints from other teachers that the 'mutational chink'
is the cause of breathiness in the singing of jr. high school aged girls yet,
these girls are fully capable of making non breathy, loud-as-hell vocally
generated noises when they don't get their way and they are capable of
sustaining these noises for a long period of time (thankfully, my daughter is
a cat). i think the problem comes more from a conceptual problem and less
from a physical one as the problem exists in many adult women, particulary
women who are shy about singing.

mike

emusic.com