Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Sat Jan 27, 2001  11:43 pm
Subject:  Re: diction (e and o)

Very interesting and informative discussion! Here's my $.02:

<<My lyric diction professor in graduate school told us that the rule
for o's is: "Look 'em up. There is no rule.">>

I would say that is generally true about 'stressed' vowels. There are
some tendencies, and after awhile it seems you can sort of predict
when they'll be open or closed about 75% of the time. Still, to be
accurate for a performance, you've got to hit the books! Most Italian
dictionaries don't list the 'unstressed' vowel pronunciation, though.
They usually just have diacritical marks over the stressed syllable.
It seems best to me to generally pronounce the unstressed syllables
closed, because opening the vowel will usually increase the volume of
the syllable, all other factors being equal, thereby accenting that
syllable. (my e's are stressed out enough as it is! :)

I've heard there is one Italian dictionary with full IPA, every
syllable. Anybody know what it's called?

Speaking of which: which Italian dictionary do y'all recommend for
this? I have a Zingarelli I picked up in Italy, but it weighs a ton,
is only in Italian (makes for good practice, though)and, again, only
has the stressed vowels indicated.

My voice teacher seems to request an overly closed e and an open o,
more so than is desirable to my ear. We only really vocalize using
these vowels. He is very well respected, but I know his performing
career was mostly in Germany, so I wonder if this influenced his
pronunciation of Italian? He calls the too-open E vowel and southern
Italian pronunciation in general 'la lingua della strada.' Del Monaco
sends him into a fit!

I wouldn't go that far (and I actually LOVE Del Monaco, particularly
when I'm feeling naughty), but would you agree that the standard for
stage diction should be more towards the closer vowels of the north?

-John

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8838 Re: diction (e and o) Jeffrey Snider   Sun  1/28/2001   2 KB

emusic.com