Vocalist.org archive

From:  Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Date:  Sat Jan 27, 2001  2:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Help needed: cough problem

Linda wrote:
" Can you pull or tear a muscle by coughing? Will I make it worse by letting
myself cough, however painful?"

I once met a ballet dancer who managed to break a rib(her own) during a
severe coughing fit!! I imagine most singers' muscles are stronger and they
have more padding for that to happen, but it is rather a terrifying
thought.

I help myself by doing what I call a growl. It's really an extended. gentle
clearing -the -throat kind of sound .One ENT I demonstrated it to called it
a vocaI cord massage.It certainly helps move the gob out.. Unfortunately it
does put pressure on the abs.But it takes away the constant attack on the
cords, which can be harmful.Another friend of mine managed to get a little
blood-blister on her cords through constant coughing and had to have that
removed surgically.

Definitely humidyfy during the night, if you can.
Cepacol Cough-lozenges work the best for me.

Good Luck.

Regards
Susi

emusic.com