Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
"Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
Date:  Sat Jan 27, 2001  4:25 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] diction (e and o)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:34:49
Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:
>Dear Vocalisters:
>
>Just to add a much greater confusing element to this discussion of
>open and closed forms of the Italian vowels, is the requirement to
>adjust vowels such that they will better match the pitch being sung.
Yes, I didn't take into consideration this aspect. I was only treating the
linguistic one.

Now the situation is getting VERY confusing! ;-)

But which is the right way to find the "ideal" vowel to sing?
According to me, it should be FIRST picked the right vowel for language, and
THEN added some modification to make the vowel suited for pitch. Finding a
compromise between making the vowel intellegible and make it suited for pitch.
But keeping in mind what is, linguistically speaking, the "original" vowel.
Thinking "It's a /.../, but I'm singing it a bit more similar to /.../
because...".

Perhaps some confusion is made when original vowel is forgotten, and is taken
into consideration only the modified one.

bye

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8837 Re: diction (e and o) sjdr9523@y...   Sat  1/27/2001   3 KB
8838 Re: diction (e and o) Jeffrey Snider   Sun  1/28/2001   2 KB

emusic.com