Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Carol Spradling" <cspradli@t...>
"Carol Spradling" <cspradli@t...>
Date:  Fri Jan 26, 2001  7:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] mezzo rep

KM wrote:

| "Voi lo sapete" is the other Cherubino aria, but this one I think is more

But she didn't mean it.

The rest of the list is superb. I have a couple of thoughts.

"Faites lui mes amours" and "Me voici dans son boudoir", would, I think, be
worthy of consideration. They're both in the Schirmer grey book, along with
a lot of Karen's excellent suggestions.

And I love Orlovsky's aria, because it's so fun to sing. Try to unearth a
recording of Christa Ludwig doing her campy version.

I think the big challenge is finding a group that both shows your
versatility and hits all the languages. So, for example, because "Ich lade
gern" is my default German aria, that means I have to show my legato and
coloratura with other selections. So I pair Orlovsky with Dalila and a
Rossini plus Bernstein or Handel depending on the audition and the mood I'm
in.

I haven't ventured into Russian yet but really should one of these days.
OTOH, Russalka's aria in Czech works pretty well as a study piece for me
(like the Strauss Fier Letze Lieder) because I have a top extension - but I
obviously wouldn't use it in an audition cause I'd look schizoid.

Carol Spradling

emusic.com