Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Fri Jan 26, 2001  5:05 pm
Subject:  Help neede: cough problem

I have been sick for a few days, and the main symptom was a convulsive
cough. It wasn't very productive at first, but yesterday I went to my
doctor who said she could hear a couple of rattles on the chest and
prescribed me some antibiotics. I normally respond well this treatment
(amoxycillin: I don't know if there's a US equivalent or if it's the
same name) and it's working quite well. I haven't so much urge to cough,
and when I do feel it coming on, I can feel there is plenty to cough up.
Hopefully should be all right in a day or so.

So what's the problem?

I think that during the first couple of days when I was coughing almost
non-stop and very hard indeed, I pulled, or even tore, an abdominal
muscle. Is this possible? Latitude about 2 inches above the navel,
longitude about 6-8 inches to the right. One of the muscles which you
use as a cough reflex, and also to laugh, which is unfortunate because
it's my hobby 8^> Now that the cough is clearing up, the urge to cough
is less frequent, but when it comes, I _have_ to cough - and I can't
because it is really _extremely_ painful. I can feel that there are
great armfuls of glop in the base of my lungs asking to be released
(sorry if you were eating) but if I cough properly it feels as though
the muscle in my side is tearing even more. The result is that when that
tickle arrives it strikes terror: either suffer a nasty pain or perform
a silly ineffective little string of half-coughs which are going to
achieve nothing. I've tried holding my side, curling up and bending
double, putting a hot-water-bottle on the side, but nothing works.
Meanwhile I'm just drinking lots of water and praying the amoxycillin
will get it before it gets me.

Does this strike anyone as familiar? Can you pull or tear a muscle by
coughing? Will I make it worse by letting myself cough, however painful?

(The laryngitis that goes with it, I suppose I can live with. Silence is
golden)

Linda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8803 Re: Help neede: cough problem gwyee@r...   Sat  1/27/2001   5 KB
8809 Re: Help neede: cough problem Jane Schaefermeyer   Sat  1/27/2001   4 KB
8828 Re: Help neede: cough problem mikebarb@n...   Sat  1/27/2001   3 KB
8833 Re: Help neede: cough problem Mezzoid@a...   Sat  1/27/2001   2 KB

emusic.com