Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
"SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Fri Jan 26, 2001  2:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] diction (e and o)

Lynda wrote:

My lyric diction professor in graduate school told us that the rule for o's
is:
"Look 'em up. There is no rule."

Mike wrote:

> i have always thought that, unless the accent the composer had in
mind
> is obvious (as in rosenkavalier), then it is the composer's accent that
> should be used in the performance if being faithful to the composer's
> intentions is the goal.

I long ago gave up worrying about closed/open ending unstressed/stressed
because there is no agreement, even among native Italians. Some coach or
conductor somewhere will always tell the singer he/she is wrong. I'm with
Mike in making the music and the composer's setting the deciding factor. Or
I consider the best vocal solution. Or I look it up. Or I acquiesce to the
current conductor's choice. There are far more important diction
considerations in Italian, IMHO, particularly non-aspirated consonants,
double consonants, and correct open/closed stressed vowels.

Susan Schneider

emusic.com