Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
"Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
Date:  Fri Jan 26, 2001  6:29 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] More on registers-exercises, laden with opinions

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:47:35
Gina wrote:

>> In Italian, "orribile" has /o/, like "dove".
>> /O/ is, for example, in "cosa", "roba"; in "sonoro" you can find both
>> (s/o/n/O/r/o/)
>
>Thank you Vale for those corrections. I was wondering, since orribile
>has a double r, why isn't it open?
Keep on mind that the stressed syllable is the second (ri). Perhaps you confuse
it with english "horrible", where is (ho)! And in Italian an unstressed
syllable is always close.
Perhaps the "double or single letter" rule is valid for a stressed syllable.
I'll think better and do some research about it.

Now I have other examples

double (not stressed):
/o/bbligar/e/ (stress on "bli")
/e/cchim/o/si (stress on "chi")
/e/ss/E/nza (stress on "se")

double (stressed):
/E/tt/o/ (stress on "et")
/O/bblig/o/ (stress on "ob")
/o/nta (stress on "o")

single (not stressed):
/e/lud/e/r/e/ (stress on "lu")
/o/giva (stress on "gi")
/e/sam/e/ (stress on "sa")

single (stressed)
/O/bic/e/ (stress on "o")
/E/vit/o/ (stress on "e")
s/e/dici (stress on "se")
s/o/l/o/ (stress on "so)

I keep on thinking that double or single does not matter.
Let's see that all not stressed case are closed, while stressed one can be
closed or open.

>Also isn't it dove sono i bei momenti with a closed o sound on dove?
Yes, "d/o/v/e/ s/O/n/o/ i b/E/i m/o/m/e/nti".

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html

emusic.com