Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Thu Jan 25, 2001  2:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

> Thanks for the above - but it still seems mostly subjective in your
> description - how it
> makes you feel and how it feels in your own voice

Gosh... I was hoping that would help. Of course it's subjective. Art
is. (That's all I am going to say about that.) I assume that you
yourself sing... correct? Or no? It will help me to try to speak your
language.
You could take a number of the ways that I have described squillo above
and apply it to Leontine Price, including the "laser beam", and yes, the
"narrow, focused sound with lots of bite" but also, in addition to
being "forward" the sound is "dark" or "warm" meaning it has roundness.
This is the ideal tone - chiaroscuro. Price has a lot of warmth and
femininity but you'd betcha she sings on the ring. You couldn't sing in
a house like the met without it... you'd be finished very soon. The
sound is in the front of her face and she doesn't let go. Think of her
when she sings the aria "Tacea la notte placida." Think of the passage
that gradually ascends on the words: "Dolci s'udiro e flebili... gli
accordi d'un liuto." There is an element of focus in that passage which
may help you to see what I am talking about.
Have you ever experienced a singer who made your ears tickle or thump
along with the vibrato? I *will* get this point across if I have to
come over your house and demo for you! ;-))

> Since you say this quality can best be discerned live - perhaps you
> can give some examples
> of singers currently performing who "have it".

Dolora Zajick

> And also, for contrast, some examples of
> singers in similar voice categories and prominence who don't have it.

Barbara Dever

The problem is: If a singer is good enough to get out in front of
people singing professionally, they are going to have at least some
ping/squillo. Some people emphasize the warm quality of the voice at
the expense of the bright quality.
Renee Fleming has lots of warmth but not much squillo (the tongue is
pulled back preventing it) but she has those gorgeous high pianissimi.

I cannot tell you names of famous singers you may have heard live who
have *no* squillo.
Oh... here's one: Emma Kirkby!!!

Off topic: You live in Alexandria VA? Do you happen to know who Dave
Grohl is? Ever met him?

Gina

emusic.com