Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Thu Jan 25, 2001  2:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

. . . > with regard to twang, twang is often coupled with 'nasal'.
ross perot
>might be a good example of someone who would be considered to have a 'nasal
>twang'. someone afflicted with a cleft soft-palate, i'm guessing, might
>also make a 'nasal murmur' similar to that of a parkinson's sufferer.
(here
>comes the silly part) imitating both, i did a spectral analysis (i'm very
new
>at it) using gram50 on my home pc. the cleft palate imitation produced a
>reading with everything bunched up in the lower frequencies while the ross
>perot imitation produced a reading with eveything bunched up in the
>2000-3800hz. range with everything more spread out in the lower frequencies.

An excellent illustration of nasal murmur. I suspect that the Perot
imitation is not truly an issue of nasal resonance, but rather, multiple
factors. In voice, nothing is simple or obvious. Often things are
paradoxical. You have shown one such example.

Thanks for your experiment.
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com