Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Wed Jan 24, 2001  5:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Reply to 'registers'

> i had always assumed that wasn't possible but, there really is no other
>explaination of recovering from bowed folds (sorry taylor, i stand
>corrected). the idea of working the muscles in such a way has always been
>looked down upon by the voice teachers i had come into contact with. now i
>have to ask, if building bulk in the intrinsic muscles of the larynx is good
>for weakened vocal folds, why would it be bad for healthy ones? is it just
>unneccesary in healthy ones?
>
> if it is good, would it be possible to turn a tenor into a baritone?
>or a lyric voice into a wagnerian voice? or, is it more likely to make
>gains in stamina only, after a certain point? does this account for steven
>tyler?
>
>mike

I have seen small breathy voices turned into voices that were efficient and
had the "money" sound. This definitely would require deliberate building
of the voice. The potential for damage is high if the expertise being
offered by the teacher is incomplete. I have seen tenors become baritones
that evolve into a more full tenor voice. An analogous course occurs with
female voices. Also, the voice goes through periods of mal-orientation
that do not sound musical or particularly satisfying. During this period,
the student and teacher must have a long term view of what is to happen and
how the development should progress. The ultimate finished product still
remains a function of natural physiology, but, on a more grand scale. Not
all voices can be Wagnerian. Sutherland would be a good example.

The above observations do not come from the traditional literature on
speech pathology. They are my personal observations from a speech
pathology background.
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com