Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Wed Jan 24, 2001  4:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

>michael,
>
> how would you disinguish 'twang', 'ring' and 'squillo' in terms of
>spectral analysis (beware the new convert)?
>
>mike

Twang: not sure what this means. In spectral analysis of Parkinson's
patients who have velar incompetence secondary to advancing neurological
disease, they exhibit something that Kent & Read (The acoustic analysis of
speech, 1992, Singular Publishing) refer to as the nasal murmur. The
formants are all compressed into the lower frequencies because of the anti
nodal or dampening effect of the nasal cavity. Once you are keen to this
sound, you never confuse it with anything else. Paradoxically the presence
of nasalence actually filters out the high partials as revealed in spectral
analysis.

Ring: I have not had the opportunity to complete spectral analysis of this
acoustic feature. I can say this--I've heard bass voices that have plenty
of ring (that I have associated with the he singer's formant) but not much
squillo.

Squillo: Again, I have not been able to complete spectral analysis of
this. I am guessing that it would be characterized by greater power in the
upper partials.

I defer to anyone who has had the opportunity to look into this. Perhaps
Buzzcen has some thoughts. It would be nice to have a consensus on the
spectral definition of an auditory phenomenon.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com