Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Wed Jan 24, 2001  4:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Fold Closure

Jane has written a couple of books, the first called New vocal repertory (I
haven't seen the second one). Maureen has written her autobiography, but
neither are focussed on vocal technique. Jane Manning studied in England
with Yvonne Rodd-Marling who co-wrote a book with Husler. Maureen Forrester
was taught in Canada by Bernard Diamant (who emmigrated from Holland, I
believe). Both exercises should be done in the medium range.
Hope this helps,
Karen Jensen

>Have Jane Manning and Maureen Forrester written any books? Alternately, who
>influenced them? Just how low are these exercises started. How high ?
>
>Many thanks
>Regards
>Susi
>
>----------
>>From: kjensen@c...
>>To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com
>>To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [vocalist] Vocal Fold Closure
>>Date: Mon, Jan 22, 2001, 9:37 AM
>>

>> Robin Frye wrote:
>>>Karen,
>>>
>>>I would be interested to know more about the Manning and
>>>Forrester exercises you mention.
>>
>> Sure. Jane Manning's exercise is to start with vocal fry (also
>> called glottal scrape, although the term sounds inappropriate for such a
>> gentle motion). Vocal fry is created when subglottic pressure is lower than
>> that necessary for phonation, and the cords are allowed to emit little
>> pulses, like a young teenaged boy trying to make his voice sound lower, or
>> perhaps like Marge Simpsons voice on the TV cartoon! Then the singer
>> gradually increases breath flow and imagines that he/she is doing a slow
>> glissando until a pitch appears. the purpose of this is to train the edges
>> of the cords to proximate cleanly without breath pressure. Jane used to
>> say, "See, that's all the breath you need for singing!"
>> Maureen Forrester's exercise is to close the glottis, and do a
>> slow-motion start to a note. She would use her finger like a harpist, first
>> placing the finger on a string (glottis closed), then slowly plucking the
>> string and releasing it's sound (tone released). There is a pause on each
>> note, and a breath after two notes, where you see a comma. Using a number
>> system to indicate pitch, the notes and vowels are:
>>
>> (ay) (oh)
>> e - o, e - o, e - o, e - o, - e o,
>> 3 1 3 1 4 3 5 7 2 1
>1
>> (below) (below)
>>
>> I think it is amazing that two such different methods or schools of
>> singing as represented by these two singers, could espouse such similar
>> ideas.
>>
>> Karen Jensen

emusic.com