Vocalist.org archive

From:  Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Date:  Tue Jan 23, 2001  8:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Reply to 'registers'

Taylor Quoted:

Here's Mancini in 1774 speaking about a lack of chest-voice
> development:
>
> "It remains for me now to speak of these voices which are
> slender and weak throughout their register... One observes that these
> voices are very weak in the chest notes, and the greater majority
> deprived of any low notes, but rich in high notes, or head-voice...
> There is not method more sure to obtain this end, I believe, than to
> have such a little voice sing only in the chest-voice for a time."
> One must counsel the student to increase little by little the body of
> this type of voice, regulating it with the help of art, and continual
> exercise; finally you will arrive at making it robust and sonorous."

What book does this quote come from? Is it still available?

I have also found that spending some warm-up time working on the chest voice
tends to make the top register stronger.

Singing in chest makes one very aware of ones abdominal support muscles. If
you sing the same notes in mixed voice, the abs hardly twitch (certainly at
the beginning of ones training).Perhaps that is why ones top notes are
better once the body has felt this support system at work.It also takes the
strain away from the throat, so important when singing high notes in full
voice.

Regards
Susi

emusic.com