Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Tue Jan 23, 2001  7:08 pm
Subject:  Re: to push or not to push (development).

Mirko -

I have been working on art songs only for the past year and barely
touched any arias. I must say that now that I have opened up my aria
book again, I feel MUCH more capable in singing the arias. I feel
that having learned to sing art songs well, I can sing almost
anything now.

Also, on the subject of "pushing" anything, especially development -
it doesn't work. The feeling of "pushing" makes you tense, and will
work against you. I find that working very hard, but at the same
time relaxing and enjoying the process, is the best way to make fast
progress. The body and voice cannot be pushed - they will resist.
They do respond very favorably, however, to some gentle coaxing.
Once I decided that I would gently coax my voice and body into the
right configuration instead of trying to "make" it happen, my
development increased exponentially in a very short period of time.

Enjoy your songs!

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Mirko Ruckels"
<mirkoruckels@o...> wrote:
<mirkoruckels@o...> wrote:
> hi all.
>
> I haven't written to this list in ages- i've been lurking for a
good year
> or so.
>
> here's my news- I've been going through the old schirmer 24 arias
songbook.
> and i must say, things are sounding better than ever. For some
reason, my
> teacher was getting me onto the mozart and donzinetti arias (which
i find
> too hard at this stage)- and i figure, it's better for my voice to
sing
> songs very well, than to stuff around with stuff that is too hard
for me.
> What do list members think? I'm a bit sick to *trying* to do the
big
> operatic tenor thing, and I feel i'm developing my voice better
right now
> singer art songs and lieder as opposed to donzinetti and mozart -
which I
> *can* sing, but something about it always seems a little strained
and not
> quite right. I want to sing in the middle of my voice for a while,
that's
> where I'm enjoying things most now, and that's where I notice the
most
> development.
>
> Mirko

emusic.com