Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 23, 2001  4:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Reply to 'registers'

In a message dated 1/23/2001 2:17:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:
taylor23f@h... writes:

<< If we start to exercise a muscle we increase its ability to do
work. And in the process we increase the bulk and size of the
muscle. It's basically the same in the voice: We are working on
building strength and bulk of a muscle- in our larynx. By directed
exercises, we can encourage this growth. And the classic vocal
literature would affirm this belief. >>

taylor,

to cause hypertrophy in a muscle usually requires working that muscle to
fatigue in a very short time period regulary (this notion is agreed upon by
most of the current literature on exercise physiology. and, i might add,
most of the authors of this material are still alive). it is highly unlikey
that any hypertrophy could ever take place in the muscles of the larynx nor
would we want that to happen. (breathing would become increasingly
difficult if one did manage such a feat.)

what does take place as the result of the constant working of a group of
muscles, even at light loads, is an increase in neurological efficiency.
most increases in a persons ability to lift weight in the early stages of a
weight training program are a results of the improved ability to manage the
lift not in muscle hypertrophy.

if this idea of growing the bulk of the muscles in the larynx really
does come from the old masters, that might explain why most of us prefer to
consult more recent literature on the subject. most recent literature (and
i don't mean the 'when i was at the met, i did it this way...' type of stuff)
benefits from more recent research with better equipment. however, the 18th
century practice of using leeches for various ailments might prove very
effective for the treatment of hoarseness ("AHHHH! LEECHES!!! cured.)

mike

emusic.com