Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Date:  Tue Jan 23, 2001  3:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re:Estill

I took JO Estill's workshop last Summer. Her book is not available
unless you take the course--definitely a good idea as it clarifies the
information in her book. She basically establishes what she calls
Compulsory figures for the Voice (like in ice skating and gymnastics).
ther ar 12 figures: 1. tone onsets[glottaal, aspirate and simultaneous]
2 constriction-retraction of the false folds( the best thing I learned)
3 vocal fold plane-horizontal and tilted(I think) 4 vocal fold mass
(going from thick to thin and back again 5 Laryngeal tilt(tilting the
thyroid forward to achieve simultaneous onset same idea as thinking down
on the tone which is the way I feel it 6 range-using ng freeling up and
down to find the range 7 soft palate control 8 Anchoring--similar to
support but it uses neck muscles and torso muscles--here againyou become
aware of the action as a result of the vocal need at the time(if that
makes any sense)9Pharyngeal Width (not real comfortable in this area yet
10 Pharyngeal length(ditto) 11Tongue control ( still reviewing
everythign from anchoring onward so not sure aabout this 12
aryepieglotiac constriction (puts the twang in the voice for certain
styles among other things that I still need to review. she then put
these figures together in certain combinations for different voice
qualities (styles) I saw everythign in action from classical to jazz to
Broadway belt and everything was free and unconstricted. Anne BTW www.evts.org
Gillyanne Kayes book is based on Jo's work and is easier to understand
than Jo's book IMO.

emusic.com