Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  2:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

>> I had a teacher who demonstrated a sound that often is called nasality
>> that
>> he described as squillo and claimed was actually the direct product
>> of the
>> vocalis muscle. He described thyroarytenoids as producing the "ring"
>> in
>> the sound while the "edge" came from the vocalis.
There are a number of teachers who have referred to the importance
of the position and condition of the focal folds and the resulting effect
on the "edge" or "core" in the voice. Without pressing together, they can
be organized to maximize efficiency. Miller talks about the onset, and
gives breath-coordination exercises. A couple of others come to mind:
Jane Manning (trained with Husler/Rodd-Marling) taught me some
very useful and gentle glottal exercises, e.g. using gradual transition
from vocal fry to tone to discover that very little breath pressure is
necessary to produce tone.
Maureen Forrester (trained with Diamant) and the slow motion
glottal attack, thinking of is as a gentle plucking of a harp string.
I would like to know more about "squillo". Does this involve pressure?
Karen Jensen

emusic.com