Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  7:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

>If hypernasality is not present the velum is raised. Focusing on raising it
>at this point will only create . . .
>This is at the root of why I consider the whole issue of raising the soft
>palate to be curious in the first place. 99.9% of the time it's not the
>issue, it is already raised.
>
>Randy Buescher

To which I may add for the 10th time since I began posting on this list:
You don't see the portion of the velum that actually creates the seal.
That structure you observe in your mouth (i.e., the uvula) is not where the
seal occurs. The vast majority of people think it's open when it is not,
and vice versa. Studies on velar insufficiency and cleft palate have
revealed much about the true function of the velar port. I'm inclined to
agree with the view that managing velar opening during singing is unwarranted.

Just my .02.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com