Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  4:30 am
Subject:  Re: the hines book

Hello Isabelle

On 21-Jan-01, you wrote:
> Marilyn Horne's chapter reads like vocal suicide to
> me, all that manipulation and "yawn" feeling in the
> throat (of course, I don't like her voice and find her
> hooty and unlistenable). Just goes to show that what
> works for one singer doesn't work for another.

Regardless of your opinion of Marilyn Horne's singing, I am completely
baffled when you describe her tone as hooty. The usual meaning of the word
hooty is a tone that is lacking in overtones and is much like the tone one
hears from a tuning fork. Horne's tone certainly does not fit that picture
at all. Do you have another meaning for this work?

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy