Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  2:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Dec.1 post on V.Port/NATS Article/Resonance

From Randy.......
>Those that insist of raising the soft palate also make me scratch my head.
>If the tone is not nasal, the velum is raised. Therefore, why even discuss
>it except that a certain faction insists on making it a categorical issue
>regardless if velopharyngeal incompetence exists or does not exist

Randy,
A slight amount of open valum, whether by accident or design,
would produce a nasal tone in proportion to the opening, therefore
a slightly "incompetent" valum closure, may not be detected by the
usual test. As Taylor points out, the nasal cavity would be more
inclined to damp the tone, than enlarge it, something which I think
you also intended.
>that any coupling
>with the nasal cavities produces nasality and not nasal resonance.

It's possible that chronic vocal inefficiency may be layed at the door
of "incompetent" valum closure. In fact I'm inclined to think that it
may have been so with myself. Having heard the example from
Richard Miller I can do it every time with remarkable efficiency.
A case of words being inadequate to the task. : )

I don't agree that there is "a certain faction" intending to make a
derogatory issue of this subject, merely a voyage of discovery,
in my case having experienced the tonal difference, wishing to
understand its origin, and sharing it with who-ever can benefit
from it. I accept all other inputs in the same light. If there is
something to be gained from Robin's input, as I'm sure there is,
then I am most willing to consider it.

Reg.

emusic.com