Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  12:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

lloyd,

i was actually responding to what you had said about my self
experimentation indicating i was using the folds as a valve. in fact, i'm
really unaware of what i'm doing there except for using everyday sounds and
just noticing the different results they produce.

perhaps i would be better off not even getting in these discussions of
what is happening physiologically as i never really think in those terms for
my own singing and, in regard to the singing of my students, i usually only
discuss the physiology of the voice in order to keep them or stop them from
doing something goofy. for example, showing a student his vocal folds are
horizontal really helps him not think stretching his neck is going to help
him with the high notes.

other than that, most of what i do with my students is to take their
approach to speech and other vocal sounds that they already make and distort
them into singing. i suppose it is a bit like making spaghetti sauce without
a recipe but, it seems to work for my students, most of whom are singing some
form of pop music as a hobby.

is this a subjective approach? yes, i suppose it is. is it
haphazard? more often then i'd like. does it work? most of the time.
does something else work better? probably.

mike

emusic.com