Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
"DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Sun Jan 21, 2001  10:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Studying Vocal Performance In College

Jeff wrote:

>>Sadly, also, jury grades still tend to be based more on talent than
on preparation. At UNT the jury grde is 75 % of the semester grade.
Again, I can't legislate that the faculty give better grades to
students who are well-prepared, but less talented and vice-versa.

Herein lies the problem. More weight should be given to regular and per-
sistent good work than to the final exam. (Ours counts only 10%.) Knowing
the iffy nature of vocal performance, it is not fair if someone has a cold
on exam day that his entire semester of good work be down the tubes!
Neither is it fair for someone who has goofed off the whole time to be able
to save his ..... at the last minute. You are the vocal coordinator, aren't
you? Can't you agitate for a new grading policy?

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com