Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Jan 21, 2001  7:01 pm
Subject:  Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

Hello John

On 21-Jan-01, John wrote:
> -Speaking of the velum/soft palate...my current teacher often speaks
> of raising the soft palate by first raising the 'zygomatic arch.' Is
> there scientific evidence for this connection? Does raising one
> necessarily raise the other?

The zygomatic arch is a bone construction above the upper teeth and, as
such, cannot be raised. However, muscles that attach to the bones of this
arch do extend into the roof of the mouth and, through extensions, into the
soft palate area. When a teacher suggests raising he zygomatic arch he/she
is suggesting a tensing of the muscles mentioned above so that the soft
palate will raise.

Opening and closing the nasal port does not necessarily affect the position
of the larynx. But raising the soft palate will lower the larynx.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy