Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun Jan 21, 2001  6:59 pm
Subject:  nasal resonance vs. nasality

> > the use of a judicious amount of nasal resonance,

> When we as singers allow air to pass through the
> nose, we then add the nasal cavity to the rest

I don't think nasal resonance means air passing
through the nose, necessarily. Some teachers seem to
use "nasal resonance" in lieu of other words like
"placement" or "forward" or "Italian vowels" or "in
the masque" or "off of the throat" to indicate a tone
production with overtones and ping/squillo/brightness.

Let me go dig up my Great Singers on Great Singing. I
was just re-reading somewhere where they said...
Hmmm. Birgit Nilsson says, "I try to place my voice
as far in the front as possible, without getting
nasal..."

That wasn't what I was thinking of. Roberta Peters
says, "When you say 'nasal,' that means keeping it
forward."

Here it is! Rita Shane says: "I don't necessarily
think of placement. Sometimes I feel the sound almost
against my top teeth... or I feel the sound going up
into the soft palate. One day I feel that, and the
next day I might feel the sound coming right out
underneath the nose... not *through* the nose!
There's a difference between nasality and nasal
resonance. The difference is... one goes through the
nose, and one..."

[Hines interrupts] "Uses both the nose and the mouth,"
I supplied.

"Yes," she said. "If I go *aaongh* [a nasal sound] or
I go *ah*... one goes through my nose, the other does
not. I do feel a terrific strength almost against my
upper teeth."

"Isn't that placement?" I prompted.

"Perhaps."

"Do you keep the sound focused?"

"Yes, I suppose it is focused."

---

That was the passage I was thinking of. Some people
use the term "nasal resonance" to mean feeling
sensations of resonance around the nose, without
opening the nasal port, without having air pass
through the nose. I prefer the term "forward," but
some people don't like to use the placement idea as a
conscious concept (just like some people, like Lloyd,
don't like to use "soft palate" as a direct concept,
but accomplish it in different ways). I'm just saying
that nasal resonance doesn't always mean a nasal tone,
since the port can still be sealed.

Of course, you can't keep your nasal port sealed all
the time during singing... or else your n's and m's
would all be d's and b's. I have to concentrate
sometimes on getting the nasal port to close again
quickly after an n or an m, especially if I'm singing
short, quick notes on words like "mia" or "non," where
the vowels will be less rich if I get lazy.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA