Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jan 18, 2001  9:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Dick Van Dyke

If *I* remember right, Van Dyke went public about his alcoholism about the
time that the movie was first shown. I remember seeing him on a talk show
promoting the movie. He said that he wouldn't start drinking until he went
home at the end of the day, which was one of the reasons it took him so long
to admit that he had a problem.

Anyway, I have fond memories of the public-service spots he did on home
safety in the 1970s. And, at the dawn of his career, he was in a rather
amusing episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," playing the not-too-bright
nephew of a wealthy man who had left his estate to his dog.

>From: Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
>From: Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
>>
>On the off-topic of Dick Van Dyke--did you ever see the movie "The
>Morning After" in which Dick plays an alcoholic on his way down. It may
>have been a TV movie in 1973 or 1974 ( I just remember seeing the Nixon
>Watergate stuff at about the same time as the movie.) Anyway Dick was
>wonderful in it. I can't remember if it was because he was struggling
>with alcoholism the he did the movie or if there was no relationship at
>all. I still love Dick, nose and all! Anne

Elizabeth Finkler
California: If it ain't one thing, it's another.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

"An enemy can partially ruin a man, but it takes a well-meaning and
injudicious friend to really finish the job and make it perfect." --Mark
Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson"