Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Thu Jan 18, 2001  3:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Has Anyone played Betto?

At 12:29 PM 1/18/01 +0000, Cynthia Donnell wrote:
>Trevor, isn't the character's name "Beppo"?

No, it is Betto, who is the brother-in-law of the recently
deceased "poor good ol' Buoso". You may be thinking of Beppe, the "second
tenor" in Pagliacci, who sings the lovely little serenade, "O Colombina, il
tenero fido Arlecchin".

As to the original question, I've not heard of Betto becoming
Betta on a regular basis, although one production I was in transformed the
child Gherardino into Gherardina, but that's a tiny role, singing-wise
(about 5 words, and not a part of the ensemble numbers).

Leslie

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music
Southeast Missouri State Univ.