Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Jan 17, 2001  1:05 am
Subject:  Re: weight, diets, fat, energy, etc.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jennifer" <ihateegroups@y...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 6:48 PM
Subject: [vocalist] Re: singing and health (and weight)

> > The
> > ONLY way to effectively lose weight and maintain the
> > loss is to eat smaller
> > quantities of all healthy foods.
>
> I can't believe I'm about to disagree with Dr. John,
> but here goes. I have lost a decent amount of weight
> over the past few months, slowly but steadily, by
> incorporating daily exercise into my routine.

OK, I didn't spell it out clearly. In my experience, most people who are
overweight are not overweight because they eat too much broccoli. They are
overweight because of high fat and high carbohydrate diets, e.g., donuts,
cake, ice cream, chips, etc.

What I meant was to reduce to take in more than you burn off. If you
increased your exercise but kept the same caloric intake, you would lose
weight. Atkins and Sears (I think that's his name) are correct in saying
that carbohydrates increase insulin secretion and thus hunger and insulin
turns on fat storage. But, if the diet is too low in carbos, the muscles
can not operate at peak efficiency. Fats can be burned in muscle but it is
most efficient above 60% of VO2 max (the maximum consumption of energy the
person is capable of.) Fat serves for long duration exercise.

>>If the carbos are too low, it can affect thinking since the
>> brain can only metabolize glucose.

>The brain can only metabolize glucose? I have not yet seen that
>information anywhere... The reading I have done has shown that >ketones
are the preferred brain food, and people who consume >too many
carbohydrates, particularly refined carbs have "brain >fog" which is lack of
clarity of thinking.

Again, to keep the list from shifting from singing to metabolism as a topic,
I tried to oversimplify this. The brain's preferred energy source is
glucose. It's in every medical text, such as, Williams Textbook of
Endocrinology:

"glucose is the predominant metabolic fuel used by the brain under most
conditions. "

It can metabolize ketones, but it is set up to transport glucose as the
preferred energy.

Some people do feel fine and do well on the Atkins diet but the concern is
that it is contrary to the diet that seems to reduce atherosclerosis.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to generalize. Each person must be
investigated separately as everyone's situation can be different. If you
have a low HDL and glucose intolerance, what you should do is different than
if you have high HDL, low triglycerides and no glucose intolerance.

So, this is not the forum to discuss it. Let me suggest we go back to
singing.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8468 Re: weight, diets, fat, energy, etc. Caio Rossi   Wed  1/17/2001   2 KB

emusic.com