Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Jan 17, 2001  12:40 am
Subject:  Diet and energy

Robin asked:

>>Regarding Dr. John Messmer's response to Dre de Man - I'm not sure what it
means when you say that fat cells do not absorb anything besides fat. I can't
even remember the first of many sources from which I heard this over the years,
but it was my understanding that the body stores in the fat cells various
toxins which it cannot otherwise process, and that these are released into the
body during the fat breakdown that occurs during dieting.
This is why my health-nut friends advocate various detoxifying and cleansing
regimens during dieting. Would you please comment further on the toxin
storage/release aspect of this?<<

When I referred to storage, I meant normal physiology. It is true that fat
soluble toxins that are not readily metabolized in the live do accumulate in
the fat. This is not because the body "stores" them but rather that they are
handled like other fats and put where the fat is.

Detoxifying and cleansing regimens are pseudoscience. They are of no benefit.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

emusic.com